Thursday, June 23, 2005

Hotel Rwanda


"...They’re just gonna watch the news and say 'That's horrible!' Then they will just continue eating their dinners..."


Sad but true. Even I, am guilty of it. With the daily news focused on the killings, poverty, lies, hunger, sickness, indifferences and death, who can blame a person if he stopped caring because he's fed up? People minding their own businesses. Turning a blind eye on the truth. There’s chaos all over the place.


How many of us have really contemplated on what’s happening to our world today? How many of us have acted upon our “awa”? We’ve seen worst of the worst almost everyday, everywhere. Watch the horrible reports day in and day out and witness them happen all over again. Yet, did we do anything about it?


It’s as if a bucket of ice was poured out on me, I was awakened by that statement uttered by Joaquin Phoenix. At times, whenever I hear or see something bad on the news, I say to myself, “Grabe! Kawawa naman sila.” Then I go on with my life, because you have to admit, these things happen and you just have to accept it. Still, I wanted to do something more than just feeling sorry for them. People close to me knows what my passion is or what my heart is burdened by, they know how hard I have cried to the Lord for it. With the way things are and with where I am now, I am denying this from myself and gave it up, nonetheless. It’s been so long and you can say that I am tired. That’s just me though. My own issues. Own. Haha. How selfish of me. I have just made the world more complicated. I can feel the pang of hurt and guilt witnessing the desperation our world is in, for I know that I can do something about it yet I do not move.



“Why are the people cruel?” ― “Because of hate…”


Hotel Rwanda is a film that can give you a reality check. If you have been caught up with your own selfish desires (like I have), take your time off and watch this true story. ALONE, I must recommend so that you can internalize the film more. *The genocide in Rwanda in 1994 was a very brutal and merciless massacre. It stirred up the international arena. The United Nations, the world’s political leaders, the coward US, media and everybody else were disturbed by this inhumane act of discrimination. It was the most tragic event since the Holocaust. This film captures the story of a man, who has taken upon himself the responsibility to help his fellowmen despite the slow intervention of those supposed to be “protectors” of these people. It is heartbreaking yet encouraging. Only one man… but he was able to save more than 10 lives. Expect emotional stress so bring your Kleenex. It is sad to see events such as these happen. But do you realize that things like these happen all the time? It may not be in one place and it may not be genocide, just the same, death and discrimination have painted our world red. Think Moslems and Christians, the privileged and the uneducated, the fashionistas and the jologs.


Convenience breeds apathy. You ask me why? I believe that when everything is convenient in a person’s life, he tends to forget the world outside. The real world. It may also be that people with not so convenient lives won’t give a crap about the social problems of this world for they also have problems of their own. These people feel one with the distressing state of the world. So why the heck care for the others when they have worries themselves to attend to? Makes sense. Well, correct me if I’m wrong with my statements. These are just my personal observations.


But this perception is wrong.. VERY wrong. Our state is not an excuse to be nonchalant about the world issues that all of us are facing. We should actually be the exact opposite. Act now, intervene and do something to address that problem. “Awa” or complaining won’t do any good. These are mere words and emotions that could even add up to the dilemma.


We are all here for a purpose. Stop looking inward for that purpose. LOOK OUTWARD. See the world, find a need and fill it, and ask God’s guidance while you’re at that. The place where God needs you is where your active involvement and the world’s deep hunger meet. The Lord is calling you to your purpose and the world is crying out for that hand of yours to reach. Extend it. It isn’t a smooth road if you take the challenge. You will be tested. But keep in mind: “For you to be saturated in your purpose, you have to be stretched to the point that you’re gonna break.”


We know what is right and what is wrong. We’re not innocent kids anymore. We’re not perfect, so stop pointing out our indifferences. We are created uniquely, each one of us. Let’s not pin one another to the ground. Instead, share God’s Good News, spread the love and see the world change. We may not be able to conquer the whole ‘wall’, but our little ‘cracks’ can definitely break it down in the long run.


Have faith. Be optimistic. Don’t lose hope. God will never forsake you. These are just some of the truths and perspectives I’ve realized from the film. I may have issues of my own, but the world has far bigger and more important issues than I have. If I can share my light to the world, I better start now. I must help. I can’t do this alone though.


The world needs you. Would you be extending your hand?


 


* - 3 links provided for you that you may understand the Rwanda Genocide

No comments:

Post a Comment